Use the form on the right to send us an email.

Our postal address is:

Bob Dempster

Seattle World Cruiser

300 Airport Way Ste 203

Renton, WA 98057


9401-9947 Airport Way S
Seattle, WA, 98108
United States

April 11

April 11th

Daily Flight Information:

The World Flyers are waiting on favorable weather reports before attempting the flight to Cordova, Alaska.

High Seas Nearly Wreck Two World Cruisers

Arrival in Sitka

By Maj. F.L. Martin, Commanding

After we landed yesterday afternoon, the local representative, Mr. Eilor Hansen, had a small scow at anchor in the bay with gasoline and oil on board. As previously arranged, the four pilots met on the scow and arranged the order in which the planes would be serviced, met the local representative and others there to greet us. We then returned to our respective planes and prepared them for the next days flight. It was necessary to use a small row boat for this purpose, and but one plane could be serviced at a time. This work was not completed until 7:00 p.m. that evening. We were entertained at dinner that evening by Mr. W.P. Mills whose home is on the point of rock jutting out into the bay.

Daily Report

by Lt. L.H. Smith, Chicago Pilot

While at Sitka, a great deal of difficulty was experienced on April 11th, when a strong southwest wind was blowing. The 500 pound concrete blocks used as anchors proved insufficient to hold the planes from drifting and it was with considerable difficulty that the planes were towed back into position. Extra anchors and gear were added to the original moorings to make them safe. A telegram was immediately sent to the advance officers, requesting that these concrete blocks be substituted by an old fashion anchor, minimum weight 150 pounds, with 3.5" new manila rope, the length of which should be at least four times the depth of the water at high tide. It was also requested that a light line, 50 feet long, be floated with corks at 3 foot intervals in order that the plane approaching the mooring could pick up the line without endangering the pontoons on the steel drum used for a buoy. The accommodations for the personnel were excellent and Sitka having one of the main Naval radio stations afforded great assistance in obtaining weather reports for our next flight.

Daily Report

by Lt. L.P. Arnold, Chicago Mechanic

Arose at 5:30 hoping to get away but all of the weather reports were against us -- so we stayed.

A rather stiff southwest wind was blowing in the morning making the bay so choppy it was unsafe to board the planes. The wind increased & the sea did likewise, until at noon there were ten foot swells coming in. The planes rode them nicely though until about 2:30 when #3 started to drift & then the excitement started. From then until 8:30 we all spent tossing around on small boats trying to keep #3 from wrecking the flight, and once it was within two feet of #4 -- so close that we all gave up hope. A forest ranger (H.E. Smith) & his boat saved the day, without him we would have lost two of the planes right then.