contact!

Use the form on the right to send us an email.

Our postal address is:

Bob Dempster

Seattle World Cruiser

300 Airport Way Ste 203

Renton, WA 98057

 

9401-9947 Airport Way S
Seattle, WA, 98108
United States

April 16th

April 16th

Daily Flight Information:

The World Flight will be delayed in Chignik, Alaska awaiting the engine change on "Seattle"  

The Seattle is Found!

Our Forced Landing

by Maj. F.L. Martin Commanding

The "Seattle" was flying in the position of the "New Orleans", No. 4 in the flight. We followed a direct course at a magnetic bearing of 210° as laid out on our maps with every prospect of having a very delightful flight to Chignik.

At Noon, Sergeant Harvey and I ate a part of the sandwiches and drank some of the coffee given us by women of the members of the American Legion of Seward, Alaska. At 2:40 p.m., after being in the air 4 hours, 30 minutes, Sergeant Harvey, having raised up to look at the instrument board in the pilot's cockpit, something that he had not done previously, called my attention to the fact that our oil pressure was zero. This forced us to land with the least possible delay. Fortunately, we were just off Cape Igvak, having just passed through the Shelikof Strait, reputed to be the roughest body of water along the shore of Alaska. At this time, the "New Orleans" leading, was at an altitude of about 1000 feet. The "Seattle" was at the same altitude on the left of the flight, about 300 yards to the rear. The "Boston" and "Chicago" were on the right of the flight at an altitude of about 500 feet. It was necessary to use the engine at a reduced r.p.m. in order to glide within the shelter of Cape Igvak. The wind at this time was from the northwest, blowing at an estimated velocity of 20 miles per hour. The sea, where it was not sheltered from the wind, was so rough as to make it extremely dangerous for landing. The water in the shelter of Cape Igvak was not smooth, but swells which were running were not sufficiently high but a safe landing was effected. In order to reach the point where the anchor with a hundred feet of line could be used, it was necessary to use the engine until the plane had been taxied along the beach for approximately a mile and a half, where the water was sufficiently shallow for this purpose. The water was very deep in the harbor of Portage Bay which necessitated anchoring about 100 yards off shore.

Upon examination, it was found that there was a hole about three inches in diameter in the crank case on the left side, under No. 5 cylinder. Connecting rods seemed to be intact and as no opportunity was ever available to determine the exact cause of the trouble, it was assumed that it was caused by the loosening of a connecting rod bolt, permitting all the oil to escape. In a previous discussion of such a contingency, it had been decided that if a plane was forced down that the other planes would circle over the plane that had been forced to land until they received signals which would be given by Very pistols which were part of the equipment of each plane. As we were not again in contact with the personnel of the flight, it was assumed that our leaving the flight with "Seattle" was not observed by them. No doubt, all were concerned by accurately checking the position as we were approaching the head lands of the main land of the western peninsula and within about one and a half hours flight of our destination, Chignik.


Daily Report

by Lt. L.P. Arnold, Chicago Mechanic

No plans were made to leave here today. Everyone spending the time fueling, checking, and getting things fixed up. Nelson had a crack in his radiator & had that fixed, while I touched up various places on #2 with the paint brush.

Two U.S. destroyers were reached by radio last night & were at Cape Igvak at daybreak, one of them finding the plane ["Seattle"] about 8 o'clock & towing it to Portage Bay where repairs will be made. Loss of oil made it necessary for plane to land and requires a new motor which will be sent from Dutch Harbor. Everyone delighted to learn personnel all OK.

The advance guard for the cannery is here getting things in shape -- a good hearted gang and only too willing to help. They can certainly handle a boat -- their spare time they spend playing pitch with various remarks.

The weather was ideal here most of the day -- being warm as summer except when the wind would blow down from the mountain tops. About 4 o'clock it clouded up, a snow squall struck and in no time at all it was bitter cold & all hands dug for the heavy coats & gloves.


Engineering Report

by Lt. E.H. Nelson New Orleans Pilot

Chignik, Alaska - General inspection, routine work and servicing. The bracket for the cowling support on one radiator shell was pulling loose. The radiator was removed, brackets cut off and short braces made up and installed, running from the front cylinder on the engines to the cowling support. The radiator cores next to the shell were filled with solder to prevent any possibility of any leakage. The starter motor on Plane No. 4 was removed and field coil found to be loose. Same thoroughly checked over, tightened, adjusted, packed with grease and installed.


RETURN TO CHRONICLE INDEX