Use the form on the right to send us an email.

Our postal address is:

Bob Dempster

Seattle World Cruiser

300 Airport Way Ste 203

Renton, WA 98057


9401-9947 Airport Way S
Seattle, WA, 98108
United States

April 17th

April 17th

Daily Flight Information:

The World Flight will be delayed in Chignik, Alaska awaiting the engine change on "Seattle"  

Bad Weather Delays Flight
"Seattle" awaiting replacement engine.

The Night Adrift

by Maj. F.L. Martin Commanding

Sergeant Harvey and I remained aboard "Seattle" during the night, although we had considered attempting to get ashore and build a fire. This was considered dangerous on account of the necessity of having to wade in icy waters, then dry our clothes before a fire made from drift wood which could be obtained in small quantities at this point. We were so sure that assistance would come that although we considered walking along the beach until we found help, we abandoned this. Due to the precipitous rise of the mountains bordering the shore line, it was not known whether this was possible and at best the circuitous route and distance to be traveled would prevent our obtaining help until the next morning [Apr. 16].

At the suggestion of Sergeant Harvey, I tried the self-starter and much to our surprise it would not engage, no doubt the spline was broken. This left us helpless in case I started to drift. We ate the few malted milk tablets which we had in the plane, divided the night into watches of four hours each in order that we might get some rest and I took the first watch, from 8:30 to 12:30. At 10:45, Sergeant Harvey informed me that he could not sleep on account of the cold, although we were clothed in fur-lined flying suits, winter gauntlets and fleece-lined moccasins. He offered to take over from me so from 10:45 until 2:10 I slept. At this time I awakened on account of the cold and neither of us slept again during the night. Fortunately for us, it was a calm, clear night with the moon shining. The waters of the bay and the mountains covered with snow were a beautiful sight. At 4 o'clock in the morning with the cockpit cover fastened securely over his cockpit, Sergeant Harvey fell to sleep. At 4:55, a thin wisp of smoke was observed on the horizon in the southeast in the direction of Kodiak Island. This smoke drew near rapidly and was observed to come from two ships which were soon near enough so that with field glasses they could be recognized as destroyers. Having no knowledge of American destroyers in these waters, it caused much conjecture as to how they happened to be there. They arrived off the entrance to Portage Bay at 5:30 a.m., traveling at full speed.

Daily Report

by Lt. L.P. Arnold, Chicago Mechanic

This morning when we arose it was cold, windy, and snowing. About ten the snow ceased, but the wind and cold continued making working conditions on planes impossible. All weather reports were unfavorable so no attempt was made to go to Dutch Harbor.

The afternoon was spent in the bunk house cleaning up, shaving, talking, and sleeping. In the evening we sat around talking with the fishermen who are Russians, Swedes, etc. Some of them have been in this country for years and with a little coaxing many wild tales were told of bear hunts, fishing trips, sea lions, etc. If only half of them are true they have had some exciting times.