Use the form on the right to send us an email.

Our postal address is:

Bob Dempster

Seattle World Cruiser

300 Airport Way Ste 203

Renton, WA 98057


9401-9947 Airport Way S
Seattle, WA, 98108
United States

March 20th

March 20, 1924

Daily Flight Information:

Departed: Vancouver, WA, 10:12 a.m. Arrived: Sand Point, WA, 12:50 p.m. Miles Flown: 165


Daily Flight Information for Lt Nelson: Departed: Eugene, OR, 11:20 a.m. Arrived: Sand Point, WA, 2:50 p.m. Miles Flown: 225


World Flight arrives in Seattle to begin Preparing for Official Start

By Major F.L. Martin, A.S. - Commander, Around the World Flight

Early this morning the weather was still unfavorable by at 10:00 a.m. the weather reports from Seattle indicated that conditions were fair and the flight left at 10:12 a.m. Low clouds were encountered east of Chehalis. These were broken at this point and with the information that the sky was comparatively clear at Seattle, the flight was led through an opening in the clouds to 2000 feet, but the cloud level continued to increase in height until at its highest point we were at 4500 feet. The air above the clouds was calm and clear. For about 30 miles we passed over a solid mass of cloud formation below. About 20 miles south of Seattle this formation was again broken and the flight was led through one of these openings and on into Seattle, arriving at 12:50, duration of flight 2 hours, 38 minutes. Total flying time from Santa Monica, California to Seattle Washington - distance 965 miles - for planes Nos. 1, 2 and 3 was 14 hours, 18 minutes. Lieutenant Nelson in Plane No. 4 arrived in Seattle at 1:20 p.m., his total flying time from Santa Monica, California to Seattle, Washington being 12 hours and 3 minutes.

The landing field at Sand Point is small as only a part of the ground available has been cleared. It is surrounded by trees on three sides and opens out on Lake Washington on the fourth side. We had been informed that the field was soft and in making a careful inspection before landing saw a number of red flags in the center of the available landing space. As the flight commander was the first to attempt a landing, great care was exercised in making the proper approach to protect the airplane from turning over on wet ground. With the exception of the points surrounded by the red flags, the remainder of the field was sufficiently solid for landing purposes and no trouble was experienced.

Lt. Gov. Coyle greets World Flyers in Seattle

By Major F.L. Martin, A.S. - Commander, Around the World Flight

After landing at Sand Point, Seattle, Washington, we were met by Lieutenant Governor Coyle of the State of Washington, the acting Mayor of the City of Seattle, the president of the Chamber of Commerce, Mr. David Whitcomb, and many other citizens of prominence in Seattle. Lieut. T.J. Koenig, Air Service officer in command of the flying field at Sand Point, had made all necessary advance arrangements for the accommodations of the personnel of the flight at the College Club, which had very courteously extended an invitation for us to enjoy the privileges of the Club while in Seattle.

After a luncheon given at the College Club at which Lieutenant Governor Coyle presided, we returned to start the preparations for removing the landing gear and the installation of the pontoons as the route would necessitate landing on the water from Seattle to Calcutta, India

Arrival in Seattle

by L.t. Lowell Smith, A.S.

Yesterday afternoon, weather reports were rather meager. It was thought that the flight could be made to Seattle in spite of threatening storms. However, after an hour's flight, it was found impossible to continue because of heavy rains and fog. The flight returned to Vancouver.

Today, the flight again took off and flew to Seattle over fairly suitable flying country, except during one period when the flight was led through the clouds over a very mountainous area. This condition did not last for over thirty minutes; the three planes landed at Sand Point. The field at Sand Point is a municipal one, used for the training of reserve fliers and was the station selected for changing the world cruisers from land planes into seaplanes and for preparing them for their final departure from the United States.

[Note: Maj. Martin's report states Lt. Nelson arrived 1:20 p.m., Lt. Nelson's engineering report has arrival recorded at 2:50 p.m. - ed.]