Use the form on the right to send us an email.

Our postal address is:

Bob Dempster

Seattle World Cruiser

300 Airport Way Ste 203

Renton, WA 98057


9401-9947 Airport Way S
Seattle, WA, 98108
United States

May 18th

May 18th

The World Fliers are waiting for favorable weather before continuing to Hitokappu, the next scheduled stop.


World Flight Waiting for Good Weather

Daily Report

by Lt. L.P. Arnold "Chicago" Mechanic

Last night was certainly a fine one. I doubt if anyone slept very much. There was a 45 mile per hour wind blowing & huge rollers in the harbor that rocked the ship from side to side -- personally I had a heck of a time. The bunk was so wide that I couldn't get braced and every time the boat rocked I rolled; then the bags & etc. rolled all around the floor, the books from the book case kept rolling out, and the papers & magazines on top of the desk kept falling on me -- so that while I might have had a few hours sleep I don't remember it.

Today the sea was so rough that not until late in the afternoon was it possible to board the planes -- 3 & 4 were chafing their bridles & luckily they discovered it or soon they would have been adrift. All day we sat around the [US Destroyer] Ford talking, inspecting, playing bridge & getting hair cuts which some of us needed very much.

Very soon after five we all visited the Commander aboard the Japanese destroyer where we had a light lunch & much to drink, including Brandy, Lanturn, Rod Weio, Scotch and the famous Japanese product Osaki [sic] which we served both hot & cold. No one was tipsy or anything like that, speeches were made & the Japanese were exceedingly pleasant. It was most interesting to watch their expressions when the speeches were being made.

Daily Report

by Lt. L. H. Smith Commanding

The storm continued through the night and into the morning. It was impossible to board the planes until 2:20 this afternoon [May 18th] when we were forced to replace the anchoring cable on the "Boston" and "New Orleans" with rope as the cable was badly worn on each of the two planes. Naval officers from the Ford rendered great service during the stay at this point. The Japanese were exceedingly cordial and had appointed two special World Flight committees, one from their Army and the other from their Navy, each having a representative present. They gave assurance of the hearty cooperation of the Japanese Nation and offered every possible assistance. The fliers were all given many letters and telegrams of congratulations on having been the first to cross the Pacific by airplane. These added a great deal to the spirit of the personnel, all having been practically out of touch with the United States since leaving Seattle.