Use the form on the right to send us an email.

Our postal address is:

Bob Dempster

Seattle World Cruiser

300 Airport Way Ste 203

Renton, WA 98057


9401-9947 Airport Way S
Seattle, WA, 98108
United States

September 2nd

September 2nd

Daily Flight Information:

Departed: Icy Tickle, Labrador
Arrived: Hawkes Bay, Newfoundland
Miles Flown: 315
Flight Time: 5 hrs. 56 mins.
(11:10 a.m. to 5:06 p.m.) 

Total Miles Flown: 19,530
Total Flight Time: 271 hrs. 57 min

World Flight Makes Hop to Hawkes Bay

Daily Report

by Lt. L. P. Arnold, "Chicago", Mechanic

Up at 6 and soon after eight had everything in readiness to go. The weather reports from along the line were not at all favorable but finally it was decided to "shove on" in hopes of getting through the low area today, letting it pass tonight, and then have good weather for tomorrow's hop to Pictou [Nova Scotia]. It was either that or be tied up here for two days.

About 11:10 we took off & for the first half had good weather, passed the McFarland [US Navy destroyer] at 1:30. Shortly after leaving Indian Harbor we spotted the big iceberg we saw on Sunday in just about the same place as before. Just about 12:00 o'clock we cut across a narrow peninsula and all got a kick out of seeing trees for the first time since leaving England -- even the trees were short scrubby pines.

At 1:50 we turned & entered Belle Isle Strait & there met fog, which grew thicker as we went further. For awhile we tried to keep over it but finally dropped under it and had a fine time. The wind had increased, the waves were about 8 feet high. We were about 10 feet over them & could see perhaps 50 yards in advance -- this continuing for 25 minutes until we reached the Newfoundland shore where it thinned out a bit.

Along the Newfoundland coast there are very many small fishing & trading villages -- the entire population & their dogs turning out to wave & to see us go by. There are however, great stretches of coast that while not as bleak & barren as those of Labrador are bad enough. Against these the strong wind drove the waves against the rocks causing much flying spray. At one place we passed an iron steamer fast on the rocks -- and it will never get off for it was stuck solid.

The head wind made a very slow trip today -- 320 miles in 5 hrs. 55 min. #2 ["Chicago"] had a broken battery terminal which was discovered upon landing when the motor stopped -- having cut from the generator. A boat from the Ausburn [US Navy ship #294 - Charles Ausburn -- Lt. Cmdr. McCord] towed us to the mooring & the battery was fixed aboard in the evening. After dinner we sat around in the ward room talking with the officers awhile. Capt. Bennett, our local advance man, called and it was 11:00 before finally turning in.

Daily Report

by Lt. L. H. Smith, Commanding

At 11:10 this morning the two planes departed for Hawkes Bay, taking a course directly south and along the coast to Cape Charles. During this part of the flight there were numerous harbors that were excellent for seaplane landings. After passing Cape Charles, a very heavy fog was encountered across the Strait of Belle Isle, then along the coast of Newfoundland to Hawkes Bay, landing at 5:06. The destroyer Osborne was stationed here and its Captain, Lieut. Commander McCord, had very wisely placed new moorings for us on the lee side of the harbor.